The Rowhill School English Department aims to help each student to make progress in English and enjoy their learning using a number of different strategies to promote English skills and improve individual needs.
Our Department celebrations from 2017-18 at Rowhill School are:
- 100% of students achieved a Grade in English Language
- 100% of students achieved a Grade in English Literature
Two students achieved a grade of 4 and above in both disciplines.
KS3 English (Year 7, 8 and 9)
The curriculum programme follows Key Stage 3, National Curriculum in England. Throughout each scheme of work, the subject content includes Reading, Writing, Grammar and Vocabulary, and Spoken Language.
KS3 study the following texts:
- ‘Rabbit Proof Fence’ by Doris Pilkington
- ‘The Sleeper and the Spindle’ by Neil Gaiman
- ‘The Tempest’ by William Shakespeare
- Various non-fiction works
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
- Various poetry
- The Island at the End of Everything
KS4 English (Year 10 and 11)
All students focus on English Language and we offer English Literature as an option. Assessment of both these courses are through terminal examinations. There is no coursework. Grades are now awarded 9-1 rather than A*-G. In the new system, 1 is the lowest grade and 9 the highest.